Zebbug Heritage Trail
Ħaż-Żebbuġ is one of the older Maltese villages which is composed of three small, older hamlets which were Ħal Mula, Ħal Muxi and Ħal Dwin. These three hamlets were joined when a certain Filippo from Catania in Sicily donated part of his land which at the time were predominantly olive groves and money in order for a parish church to be built which would be dedicated to St. Philip of Agira, the patron saint of his native hometown.
In the late 18th century, the village was conferred with the title of Citta Rohan by Grandmaster Emanuel de Rohan-Polduc in 1777. This title was conferred against a promise to construct two arches, one at each end of the city. One of these arches was ever constructed, which is called De Rohan Arch but is colloquially known as Il-Bieb il-Ġdid or the New Gate to this day. De Rohan arch, served as the main entrance to the city from 1798 until the mid 20th century when Vjal il-Helsien was created which street still serves as the main entrance to the centre of the village.
|Chapel dedicated to St. Rocco|
This tour starts off from the De Rohan Arch through the slightly winding Triq il-Kbira (Main Street) were one can see a mix of dwellings from different periods ranging from the Late Medieval/Early Modern period to late 20th century buildings. Other interesting buildings can be seen such as the chapel dedicated to St. Rocco and the statue of the same saint opposite, medieval doorways, typical rural dwellings, highly ornate facades and others.
You can follow the trail here.