Miscellaneous Property

The following is a list of stately houses and other palazzos which survive in Malta. Most of these buildings are used as residences or are private property and thus may not be visited except externally. Nonetheless, they are worth having a look at!

This page is still under construction and will be updated from time to time.

Palazzo Stagno, Qormi

Palazzo Gomerino, Rabat
Villa d'Argens, Gzira
San Anton Palace and gardens, Attard
Verdala Palace, Rabat
Selmun Palace, Mellieha

Il-Kunvent (Id-Dar tas-Soru), Zabbar
Villa Curmi, Zejtun

Palazzo Francia, Lija
Villa Preziosi, Lija
Palazzo Parisio, Naxxar
Villa Bologna, Attard
Palazzo Pescatore, San Pawl il-Bahar Villa Gourgion, Lija Villa Buleben, Zebbug
Villa Frere, Pieta
Villa Bologna, Marsaskala
Villa Pisani, Birzebbuga
Palazzo Dorell, Gudja
Palazzo Bettina, Birgu
Villa Agatha, Floriana
Palazzo Manoel (Villa Leoni), St. Venera
Villa Bonici, Sliema
Villa Grognet, Mosta
Palazzo Kaspru, Mosta
Villa Portelli, Sliema
Villa Portelli, Kalkara

Australian Bungalo…

Zebbug Heritage Trail

Ħaż-Żebbuġ is one of the older Maltese villages which is composed of three small, older hamlets which were Ħal Mula, Ħal Muxi and Ħal Dwin. These three hamlets were joined when a certain Filippo from Catania in Sicily donated part of his land which at the time were predominantly olive groves and money in order for a parish church to be built which would be dedicated to St. Philip of Agira, the patron saint of his native hometown.
In the late 18th century, the village was conferred with the title of Citta Rohan by Grandmaster Emanuel de Rohan-Polduc  in 1777. This title was conferred against a promise to construct two arches, one at each end of the city. One of these arches was ever constructed, which is called De Rohan Arch but is colloquially known as Il-Bieb il-Ġdid or the New Gate to this day. De Rohan arch, served as the main entrance to the city from 1798 until the mid 20th century when Vjal il-Helsien was created which street still serves as the main entrance to the centre of t…

Auberges in Valletta

The Auberges were buildings which were used as hostels by knights of the same langue or language. In some cases, there were more than one auberge for knights from the same country especially in cases where there were many knights coming from disparate parts of the country such as in the case of France and Spain. The surviving buildings in Valletta are all used for some form of public office as explained further below.
Auberge de Castile y Leon
The building was originally constructed in the late 16th century by Girolamo Cassar but was extensively remodelled by Grand Master Emanuel Pinto de Fonseca between 1741 and 1744. The auberge is built on the highest point of Valletta and is one of the most recognisable buildings locally. The building is highly ornate with extensive masonry decorations and a bronze bust of Grand Master Pinto above the main entrance surrounded by a trophy of arms. This building is currently used as the office of the Prime Minister.

Auberge d'Italie This impressi…

Underground Flour Mills

When the threat of nuclear war became imminent, the British Services in the Maltese Islands prepared a civil defence system aimed at ensuring a supply of food for the population of the Islands. These preparations took the form of a number of flour mills which were excavated in live rock and were self sufficient as regards the power required to run them.
These flour mills were each composed of a pair of large silos where the grain was stored, archimedian screws which transported the grain to the milling machines, and the machines proper. The milling machine ran was started by first firing up a starting engine which would then fire up the engine proper of the milling machine. The machine functioned through a series of leather belts which provided traction for all the moving parts. Of particular note is the fact that the milled grain was segregated into its different components by the machine itself and the miller's work mainly consisted of ensuring the bags of milled grain did not …

Tal-Kmand Gardens

On becoming Governor of Malta, Sir Alexander Ball felt that the Maltese Islands needed some more greenery and thus set about planting trees wherever possible. Another method of adding greenery was through the opening of gardens, such as the Mall gardens in Floriana, which were previously inaccessible to the local community.

Ball also created new gardens which were to be managed by the Luogotenente di Casale  who also served as police officer, magistrate and general liason between the local population and the administrators of the Islands. A number of these gardens were constructed in various localities around Malta as a perk for the Luogotenente and at the same time with the aim of using the gardens as experimental areas for agricultural and horticulture purposes.
Ball wanted to avoid a repeat of the mistakes the French made and thus wanted to have a buffer between the locals and the administration. The Luogotenente would facilitate the implementation of legislation by informing the …